Until now, keeping our cell phones and electronics charged on the trail has been a challenge. Pocket solar panels are a joke and how many extra batteries can one backpacker carry? You’ll be glad to know that those power charging methods are going the way of the dinosaur thanks to these ingenious thermoelectric generator gadgets that turn heat into electricity.
Feed your belly and stay charged on the trail.
Light a match and you’re on your way to a charged up device. With your own mini-power plant in your pack, you can harness the power of “TEG” power through a simple heat source that cooks your food and keeps your devices working.
Thermoelectric Generator Gadgets are a Power Plant in Your Pocket!
Every hiker knows what it’s like to run low on energy while out in the woods. Today however, we’re not talking about running your body‘s batteries down, but rather the batteries for your cell phone, iPod and other portable electronics. Don’t worry though; if you have a PowerPot 10 or BioLite CampStove in your hiking gear, you’ll never run low on juice.
The PowerPot 10 by Power Practical
The PowerPot 10 by PowerPractical produces power for your mobile devices in a matter of seconds using just heat and water. Power up to two mobile devices all while heating up a meal on your handy backpacking stove or campfire. Perfect for off-grid adventures or power outages, the PowerPot 10 will keep your mobile devices charged day or night, rain or shine.
- 2A on-demand USB power for mobile devices
- Dual USB ports for charging two devices simultaneously
- Real-time power meter for optimal charging
- 1.4 Liter hard-anodized aluminum pot for cooking
See how the PowerPot works:
BioLite Wood Burning Camp Stove
Burning only wood, the BioLite CampStove creates a smokeless campfire that can cook meals and boil water in minutes. Setup is easy, fuel is free, and flames are hyperefficient with performance on par with white gas stoves.
- BioLite’s patented core technology captures waste heat from the fire through a heat probe attached to the orange powerpack.
- Heat is converted into usable electricity via a thermoelectric generator. This powers a fan and sends surplus electricity to a USB charging port.
- The internal fan forces air back into the burn chamber dramatically improving combustion and creating a cleaner, more efficient burn.
Check out how the BioLite works:
Although TEG technology has been around for a long time, it’s only in the last few years come to the outdoors industry as a way to keep our small handheld devices charged. Like any technology, there are pros and cons to thermoelectric generator gadgets. For a real uber-geek look at TEG power, check out the EE Times article, “Is There a TEG in Your Power Future?“